Tuesday, March 4, 2008

It's official: We're growing old


The first time that I ever saw Brett Favre throw a pass is implanted on my mental hard drive. I was sitting in some girl’s flat in London with my friend Chris watching a 30-minute NFL recap with a couple English broadcasters and a former kicker who was doing the color analysis. It was the first football we’d seen in several months while traveling the continent with our backpacks. In the game, Favre hit Kitrick Taylor (or was it Sanjay Beach) with a laser to beat the Bengals in the final seconds of their regular-season game. I looked at Chris and said something like “I hope Majikowski isn’t hurt for too long.” Also indelible in my memory was that we were summarily kicked out of that London flat a day later and had to spend the rest of the week in a crowded hostel. (Editor’s note: The fact that I broke the host’s toenail clipper while trying to cut my unseemly talons was just a small factor in her decision.)

The Majik Man never saw the field again for the Packers. Instead, Favre played for the next 17 years.

I can pretty much pinpoint the points in my life and what I was doing with various Favre moments. The playoff win against the Lions in which Favre’s last-minute (is that getting redundant) pass to Sterling Sharpe resulted in a huge hogpile on the floor of the bar, Fowl Play. The Halloween victory over Chicago in a driving rainstorm; the Raiders’ game that featured the first Lambeau Leap by LeRoy Butler; the game I took my then-girlfriend, now wife to – the Yancey Thigpen drop that gave the Pack the division title; the NFC Championship win over Carolina – I snuck into the game without a ticket and sat in the aisle; or this past January when a snowstorm hit us during the Seattle playoff game. Of course the Super Bowl victory receives the top billing: I remember my roommate and me spending several hours before the game creating our own version of the Lombardi Trophy. The “trophy” was a Nerf football on the top of an empty Miller Lite case, ensconced in aluminum foil. It looked ridiculous but there wasn’t one person at the party who didn’t want their picture taken with it after the Patriots had been dispatched.

All of those were pretty great memories that will stay with me until I die or dementia sets in. I would prefer the former rather than latter.

When I heard about the retirement, I tried to think back to any of the other retirements of Wisconsin athletes that had a similar affect. Robin Yount retired from the Brewers in 1993. He was special because I went back with him to the mid-1970, when sports still had a special magical quality. The only other retirement that I think comes close was Al McGuire’s retirement from Marquette University in the 1977 season. I remember I was home that afternoon and watching my mom cry during the press conference. I had a vague sense of who he was, but anytime you see your stoic German mother in tears it’s a pretty big deal for a 7-year-old. I guess we hold our icons pretty close to us in the heartland.

My 4-year-old, Nicolas, has become a big sports fan. He calls me his football buddy because I watch games with him and take him to games when possible. His favorite player – guess: Brett Favre. He has imitated Favre’s post-touchdown dance, the one with the index finger raised and running in a circle with hip thrown out to the side. In fact, it’s become his signature move after he scores in t-ball, soccer, and hockey. Minutes after hearing the announcement my brother called to commiserate. We were discussing how to break the news to our little guys. His 5-y-o cried for a half-hour after the Packers’ loss to the Giants, about 30 minutes less than his old man. Both Nicolas and his cousin are still in the stage that their sports heroes don’t get old or stop playing.

For Nicolas, his scoring dance has become habit. I imagine that in five, 10 years that he won’t have a clue where it originated from. That’s when his old man will pull out the DVDs – or whatever format is in use at the time – and remind him of when he thought his heroes were magical.

1 comment:

MK said...

I think one of the Kennedy girls wrote a book about how to deal with your grandpa when he soils himself and can't remember your name, and ultimately dies. Along the same lines, perhaps you could pen a children's book on dealing with retiring legends.