Saturday, September 13, 2008

I wonder what the cops run a 40-time in?

It's damn near Christmas around here. I'm talking about football season -- specifically college football season. Yes, the NFL garners more attention, but I'll be honest: I get too worked up over how my favorite professional squad does on a week-to-week basis and sometimes can't enjoy the trees through the forest. Is that a mixed metaphor?

Anyway, the real fun happens on Saturday when the -- er, -- amateur athletes step onto the gridiron. Being a Gopher fan hasn't been that special the past couple seasons but we have reason for optimism with a young squad and an amazing stadium ready for unveiling next season. The Kapocius family took in the opener against the hated rival Northern Illinois and watched Ski-U-Mah escape with a 31-27 win. The game unfortunately wasn't settled until the last play of the game. Despite that, the tailgating was fun.

Many people here in the Twin Cities have made the statement that the Gophers will never succeed in football because all of the barriers they face: Lack of supreme focus on football, academics, a location far from high school football hotbeds (read Florida and SEC country). One thing that could really keep our ship sunk however, is the media in this frost-bitten town. Take this, for example: A week before the season started the Strib came out with a story about how the Goph's prime recruit had his ACT flagged for inconsistencies. What this probably means is that he didn't take the test himself. My thoughts: Who cares?!

I don't care if we have smart kids represent us. It's not about them. It's about the alumni in the parking lots drinking beer and playing bean bag toss (or 'the cornhole game' if you're from Wisconsin). It's about enjoying the scenery of co-eds and fall afternoons. It's about perceptions and not reality. The days are over when athletes came to institutions for academics. I could care less if a stud linebacker is making it to his Biology lab, or whether he's smoking chronic in his dorm. It's all about how he performs on Saturday. Granted, I'm not looking for him to create undue mayhem in Dinkytown during the rest of the week, but as long as it falls under the umbrella of "college kids will be college kids" I'm OK with it. I leave you with my favorite football quote ever, and helps to sum up my point. This came from a newspaper out East, covering a Virginia football win. I don't know if I'd want this kid watching my kids -- or managing my finances, but he seems to have an ability to return punts. Good for him -- and us.

No comments: